Heads up: e2fsprogs-1.42-WIP-0702 pushed to rawhide

Ric Wheeler rwheeler at redhat.com
Tue Oct 4 10:59:11 UTC 2011

On 10/04/2011 03:12 AM, Farkas Levente wrote:
> On 10/04/2011 01:03 AM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>> Large filesystem support for ext4 has languished upstream for a very
>> long time, and few in the community seemed terribly interested to test it,
>> either.
> why? that's what i simple do not understand!?...

Very few users test anything larger than a few TB's in the fedora/developer
world.  I routinely do a poll when I do talks with the audience about maximum
file system size and almost never see a large number of people testing over 16
TB (what ext4/ext3 support historically). Most big file system users are in the
national labs, bio sciences, etc...

There are also other ways to handle big data these days that pool together lots
of little file systems (gluster, ceph, lustre, hdfs, etc).

It just takes time and testing to get better confidence, we will get to
stability on ext4 soon enough at larger sizes.

Ric