GNOME 3 - font point sizes now scaled?

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Tue Oct 4 15:46:33 UTC 2011

On 10/04/2011 09:36 AM, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 04:01, Camilo Mesias<camilo at mesias.co.uk>  wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Ralf Corsepius<rc040203 at freenet.de>  wrote:
>>> The XP I occasionally can not avoid to use, in its system control menus
>>> has controls to switch between "normal", "big" "very big" fonts and
>>> "expert/advanced controls" one can specify fonts sizes for many details
>>> of the DE in pnts.
>>
>> Wouldn't the sane solution to be to honour the fallible DPI detection,
>> with an expert tweak available to rescue those who have unusual
>> hardware (or preferences)? I can't see the justification for the
>> present override.
>
> No. It wouldn't.

Not exactly the most compelling of arguments. ;-)

Grovelling around in the F15 xorg-server sources and reviewing the Xorg
log file on my F15 box, I see, with _modern hardware_ at least, that we
do have the monitor geometry available from DDC or EDIC, and obviously
it is trivial to compute the actual, correct DPI for each screen.

Obviously in a multi-screen set-up using Xinerama this has the potential
to be a Hard Problem if the monitors differ greatly in their DPI.

If the major resistance is over what to do with older hardware that
doesn't have this data available, then yes, punt; use a hard-coded
default. Likewise, if the two monitors really differ greatly, then punt.

Beyond that I'd say this violates POLA if the data is available and the
xserver doesn't honor and correctly report it.

And it wouldn't be so hard to to add something like -dpi:0, -dpi:1,
-dpi:2 command line options to specify per-screen dpi. I kinda thought I
did that a long, long time ago, but maybe I only thought about doing it
and never actually got around to it.

My 2¢ worth.

--

Kaleb