Why EDID is not trustworthy for DPI

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 6 17:58:33 UTC 2011

On 2011/10/06 15:33 (GMT+0100) Matthew Garrett composed:

> On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 09:30:50AM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:

>>  I would wager that the majority of Fedora systems are single monitor
>>  (or, in the case of notebooks, single monitor much of the time); can't
>>  we at least try to correct for that case first, and _then_ try to deal
>>  with multi-monitor setups?

> Changing the current behaviour doesn't make the most common case
> significantly better, but potentially makes a less common (but still
> common) case significantly worse. What's the benefit?

Nearly always the permanent display will have the higher actual DPI. This means:

1-96 makes everything undersize too often on internal displays
2-the external display has bigger text than the internal
3-accurate on the internal rarely means no text anywhere is illegible
4-it's invariably easier to make too big Xorg text smaller than the converse
5-what Nicolas Mailhot wrote

What happens to/for multiple display users should only be fussed over after
an appropriate strategy is developed for the vast majority that use a single
display at a time.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/