Why EDID is not trustworthy for DPI

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Oct 6 19:00:26 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-10-06 at 13:36 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> said:
> > Obviously you embed radar in every projector.
>
> Projectors with auto-focus already detect the distance to the screen (I
> think they use IR).  I don't expect that they change the EDID screen
> size reporting though.

But you don't (only) need to know the distance between the projector and
the screen, you need to know the distance between the *audience* and the
screen.

So, logically, what we need to do is make projectors capable of using
Bluetooth to figure out what cellphones are nearby, and Facebook and
Foursquare to check on their GPS locations...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey