Firefox on Fedora: No longer funny

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 8 21:43:58 UTC 2011

Since Mozilla switched to the new rapid release model, Firefox in Fedora
is no longer fun: Every 6 weeks a new major version hits our stable
release and breaks Firefox horribly:
      * My favorite extensions (and actually the only thing that keeps
        me using FF) stop working. In the last 7 weeks I had to pitch in
        three times and update packages to get things working again.
        Sometimes there is not even an update available upstream.
      * Firefox falls back to English as there is no language pack
        provided. I have to go go the FTP server and download and
        install the XPI file manually.

We have ratified very strict guidelines for updates in the stable
releases and we allow one of the critical path applications to break
this hard?

So what can we do to improve the situation?
     1. Can we bring back the language packs as part of the packages?
     2. Can the FF maintainers make sure that all maintainers of
        extensions get notified of changes *before* release of a new
        package?
     3. Can someone (I'm looking at you, QA) make sure all extensions
        are still compatible?

More ideas or suggestions?

Regards,
Christoph