Fedora 16 Final Release Criterion for Xen DomU

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Mon Oct 10 18:09:51 UTC 2011

Since the beta criterion for running Fedora as a Xen guest (DomU) was
removed for Fedora 16, there has been some discussion [1] [2] on test@
about whether or not we should add it back for Fedora 16 final. The old
criterion read:

  The release must boot successfully as a virtual guest in a situation
  where the virtual host is running a supported Xen implementation

As it stands, we are leaning towards accepting it as at least an NTH
criteria for Fedora 16. This means that any Xen guest issues would
become at least NTH (ability to update past code freeze, does not
block release) for final. The reasons listed are:

 - If Fedora is not usable as a Xen guest at release time, it will not
   be possible to use the released install media to create Xen guests.
   This is not fixable through updates
 - Several cloud platforms (EC2, Linode etc.) use Xen in their
   platforms. It is possible that issues preventing the usage of Fedora
   as a Xen guest could affect the ability to use Fedora on those
   platforms.

Are there any objections to moving forward with this? There seems to be
no objections from the kernel maintainers who have been participating
in the discussion on test@ but we wanted a bit more devel input before
moving forward.

Thanks,

Tim