grubby and the transition from grub to grub2

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Oct 17 07:12:08 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-10-16 at 11:14 -0700, darrell pfeifer wrote:
> How does grubby decide which boot loader is running?

It doesn't care. It updates any grub config it finds. If you have both
grub1 and grub2 configs present, it will update both.

> I have a system upgraded from grub to grub2. I've yum erased grub and
> grub-efi. I also move/renamed /boot/grub elsewhere.
>

> Is that sufficient for grubby to update the next kernel install via
> grub2?

Sort of?

As mentioned above, grubby will update both grub config files if they
exist, but this will not switch you to actually booting via grub2,
because to do that, you have to write grub2 to the MBR. Which grubby
does not do. You have to do that manually with grub2-install . grubby
also does not _create_ config files from scratch; if you don't have a
grub2 config file yet you have to create one with 'grub2-mkconfig
-o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg' .
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey