BEWARE: a problematic glibc made it to stable (F16)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Oct 19 21:09:39 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 12:36:36PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-10-19 at 15:30 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
>
> > What did you downgrade to ?
> > AFAIK Several people had to downgrade from -11 because of nsswitch
> > issues ... seem glibc is not in good shape :-(
>
> You get to pick your breakage. If glibc maintainers would kindly stop
> pulling random git snapshots into a pending stable release that would be
> nice, but then, I'd also like a solid gold toilet and that doesn't
> appear to be on the verge of showing up, either...

+1000

Why are we putting glibc git snapshots into Fedora 16, just days
before the final release?

There have been no updates to glibc in Rawhide since July 21st.

When I added a two-line upstream patch to fix one particular broken
glibc update in Fedora 16 (using my PP status), I got abuse from
a glibc maintainer.  The random glibc.git update in that case had
rewritten a load of string functions in assembler -- normally an
excellent thing, but *not* something that should be happening in
stable Fedora to such fundamental library functions.

That is all entirely backwards to how it's supposed to work and
IMHO is something FPC or FESCO should be looking at.

Rich.