Systemd conversion versus updates in back Fedora branches

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Mon Oct 24 17:46:19 UTC 2011

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> FWIW, I'm totally on board with the idea of not switching to systemd in
>> F15 --- and even if I wanted to do that, it's pure luck that the problem
>> doesn't apply to F14->F15 upgrades as well, where such an option is
>> certainly not available.

> F14 will be EOL in less than 2 months. So that problem will be gone then,
> and the "just push the systemd migration to all supported releases" plan
> would be sound then if only FESCo and/or FPC would approve it.

It's certainly *not* sound, given that the current packaging guidelines
mandate not auto-applying the user's previous choices about whether to
auto-start daemons.  Would you be happy if a routine "yum update"
disabled your mail daemon?  Or even just changed its configuration
significantly, as is more than likely to happen in such a transition?
(My daemons no longer pay any attention to /etc/sysconfig, for
instance.)

To make that work would require a complete redesign of the scriptlets,
not just permission to back-port the existing F16 specfile entries.
And it would require per-package testing that nobody has done, and
that this maintainer for one is uninterested in doing.  So as I said,
I'm totally not interested in switching the F15 packages to systemd.

			regards, tom lane