UsrMove feature (was Re: FESCo meeting minutes for 2011-10-24)

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Mon Oct 24 18:27:48 UTC 2011

2011/10/24 Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4 at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> 2011/10/24 Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>:
>>>   * Discussion about https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove
>>>     (t8m, 17:26:45)
>>

> Cool idea. Next I suggest to stop using
> /bin
> /sbin
> /lib
> /lib64
> in F19, and not to create these links on freshly installed systems in F20.

What about
* the FHS?
* "#! /bin/sh" in thousands of existing scripts?

If anything, wouldn't it make more sense to move stuff in the opposite
direction, from /usr/bin to /bin ?  "usr" doesn't really mean anything
- originally it was used because the filesystem format couldn't
support more than 64MB(?) in a single volume, so the system had to be
split to / and /usr.

Also, Fedora already sort-of has a system for stateless OS images -
see /etc/sysconfig/readonly-root.  What will happen to it?

And more importantly, what is the overall benefit to our users?  I
can't find anything compelling in the "Benefit to Fedora" section (if
/usr/ can be snapshotted, why not / ?); AFAICT this requires changing
257 packages for mostly aesthetic reasons.
   Mirek