UsrMove feature (was Re: FESCo meeting minutes for 2011-10-24)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 13:48:53 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 11:47:04AM +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:
> On 10/27/2011 08:35 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
>
> The strategy is:
>
> - Replace binaries in /bin /sbin /usr/sbin /lib /lib64 with symlinks to
> their counterpart in /usr. Symlinking is done in rpm %post. Symlinks are
> part of the filelist with %ghost.
> - As soon as one of these directories _only_ contains symlinks, it can
> be removed completly and replaced by a symlink.
> - The removal of the directories can either happen after the upgrade via
> anaconda, or within the initramfs while booting or in shutdown.
> - Fresh installations will get the toplevel symlinks immediatly and no
> %ghost  symlinks are created
>
> Read the rpm snippet on the feature page, please.

Ugh.  So you're proposing that all package maintainers with programs or
libraries in /  will need to update their packages to carry the compat
symlinks and you're proposing that replacing the / directories with
symlinks has to be a special case outside of packaging itself?  I'm sorry,
for the question, it's just that neither of these were clear from reading
the feature page.  Perhaps if you add your middle two bullets from above to
the Roadmap section it will be more clear.

Also, your list of 257 packages is incomplete.  For instance, you're missing
bash.  Linking the script that you use to generate the list to the Feature
page would also be helpful.

Thanks,
Toshio