emacs and libotf.so.0

Denis Arnaud denis.arnaud_fedora at m4x.org
Sun Sep 4 14:59:22 UTC 2011

Hello,

I just came onto a tricky dependency issue, and thought it could be of
interest to the list.
emacs requires libotf.so.0, which is the library handling Open Type Fonts
(OTF), provided by the libotf package.
Well, fine enough. But libotf.so.0 is also provided by the OpenMPI package
(not in /usr/lib, but rather in /usr/lib/openmpi/lib).

So, RPM/Yum is misleaded when installing, whenever OpenMPI has installed. It
results in a cryptic "emacs: error while loading shared libraries:
libotf.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
error message (I put it here in plain, so that it can be indexed by our
favourite Web crawlers), or so, when trying to launch emacs from a terminal.

I see no clean solution, as both packages (libotf, openmpi) have some
legitimity to name that libotf.so library like that. And it seems
impracticable to have RPM handles full paths rather than just library names.

I leave the floor open for debates :)