openssh: no pre-release sanity check? [Re: ssh-to-rawhide hangs

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Sep 11 22:19:13 UTC 2011

Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> Maybe there needs to be a classification for rawhide similar to the
> karma system for updates-testing, but limited to just a set of packages
> that should just always work (maybe openssh would be one).  For such
> packages, there should be a test validation set that the maintainer runs
> to automatically allow the package into rawhide.

NO! Just no!

We cannot do any useful development if we have to wait 10+ days (1 push
delay + 7 full days + 1 (another) push delay) for any of our changes to get
out. The push delays alone are enough of a PITA even if the 7-day delay is
set to 0 days for Rawhide.

This karma model doesn't even work well for releases, it'd be completely
insane for Rawhide.

We just need people to grasp that Rawhide is NOT suitable for any sort of
production use and that it WILL break. (Not "may", "will"!) As they say:
"Rawhide eats babies!"

If people have to run Rawhide to get the current software they need, then
THAT is the problem we must fix (and in fact one of the major advantages of
Fedora used to be that this was NOT the case, but recent policy changes made
it more and more the case!). Making Rawhide suitable for production use is
about as realistic as making nuclear fission without radioactive waste.

        Kevin Kofler