[RPM] for Jokosher 0.11.5 (F15 noarch)

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 21:39:23 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Manuel Escudero <Jmlevick at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there Fedora People!!
>
> One of my biggest passions in life is audio editing, so when I started using
> Linux I found this friendly (yet powerful) audio editor called "Jokosher".
> When I
> installed Fedora 15, I realized that jokosher wasn't added to the F15 repos
> and I missed it a lot, so I built an RPM using the lastest source code the
> jokosher developers have on their website:
> http://www.jokosher.org/
> and now I want to share it with you guys, so if someone wants to
> add it to the official repos that might be awesome, the download
> links are down here:
> RPM -
> http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/xenodecdn/jokosher-0.11.5-0.fc15.noarch.rpm
> SRC.RPM -
> http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/xenodecdn/jokosher-0.11.5-0.fc15.src.rpm
> it's a "noarch" package so it can be installed in both 32 and 64 bit
> systems,
> Enjoy!

I pulled the SRPM and gave it a look over. Pretty good overall! I'm
not sure how much you've packaged before but I couldn't find much
wrong with it. Here's what I did find:

1. Why is the license GPLv2+ "with exceptions"?
2. I got rid of %clean and "rm -rf %{buildroot}" in %install. You
don't need those anymore.
3. I got rid of a lot of the white space in the description and fixed
one spelling error (rpmlint is your friend).
4. %exclude in %files for the Profiling.py file is not the way to go.
That works well for excluding files you want in a separate
sub-package. In this case because the file (nor the byte-compiled
versions) are needed at all, I used "rm -f
%{buildroot}%{python_sitelib}/Jokosher/Profiler.py*" in %install
instead.
5. I changed the release to "1" since it's from the stable source
instead of a pre-release checkout.
6. Added "python2-devel" as a build requirement[1].

Here's the updated SRPM:
http://hobbes1069.fedorapeople.org/jokosher/jokosher-0.11.5-1.fc15.src.rpm

So the question remains, instead of seeing if someone else will submit
it, why not submit it yourself?

Thanks,
Richard

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Python#BuildRequires