Responsibility for rebuilding dependent components, was: F-16 Branched report: 20110920 changes

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Tue Sep 20 15:39:52 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 16:07 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 09/20/2011 03:47 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 15:01:06 +0200,
> >    Nils Philippsen<nils at redhat.com>  wrote:
> >>
> >> I'd like to see a discussion about how we can ensure -- within
> >> reasonable limits -- that e.g. bumping a library's SONAME is followed by
> >> dependent components being rebuilt and included with the providing
> >> component in one update.
> >
> > This should be easier to do now with the (relatively) new way to set up
> > build overrides.
>
> These are hardly applicable, if several maintainers are involved or if
> non-trivial technical difficulties arise.

Well, easy build overrides are helping getting the technical side done
without involving rel-eng. Several maintainers being involved and
non-trivial technical difficulties are exactly the topics that need to
be sorted out, but they don't have a thing to do with who sets up the
build overrides.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty