Looking for dnssec-triggerd alpha testers!

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Thu Sep 22 20:29:57 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 11:27:41AM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > right. the big problem is not working around a broken network or a network
> > with an attacker. The problem is false positives due to the pletora of
> > hotspot mangling techniques out there. Ideally, NetworkManager would deal with
> > the whole "hotspot detection" and lift any blocking done by the hotspot pre-login,
> > and then dnssec-triggerd in some way or shape can deal with the DNS investigation
> > and caching resolver reconfiguration.
> >
> > For example, the Apple iOS hotspot detection consists of simple trying to fetch:
> > http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html
>
> There's long notes on how to do this in the TODO file in NM git, just
> needs the time to implement.  It's essentially what Windows does as
> well, they just fetch a known URL and compare the result to a known
> response, and if there isn't a match, you're not connected to the
> internet.  Various other plugins could check the response for known
> portal junk (and we can use the various portal auto-login standards like
> WPAD) to handle portal auto-login if we can.

  ConnMan (https://lwn.net/Articles/456967/) already has code to detect and login
on hotspot pages.  Maybe you can just lift code from ConnMan instead of redoing it.

--
Tomasz Torcz                Only gods can safely risk perfection,
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl     it's a dangerous thing for a man.  -- Alia