/tmp on tmpfs (was: Re: Summary/Minutes for today's FESCo meeting (2012-04-02))

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 21:21:03 UTC 2012

On 2 April 2012 14:55, Steve Grubb <sgrubb at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Monday, April 02, 2012 03:58:12 PM Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> > * #834 F18 Feature: /tmp on tmpfs -
>> >
>> >   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/tmp-on-tmpfs  (mitr, 17:40:06)
>> >   * AGREED: tmp-on-tmpfs is accepted (+5 -3)  (mitr, 18:12:52)
>>
>> Actually I think this is a good feature, but ...
>
> What about forensics? Any reboot erases information that might have been needed
> to see what happened during a break in.

I would guess it is a tossup. Depending on the security plan.. systems
may want stuff in tmpfs to not allow for stuff to be around for a
reboot (in the case where physical access after a reboot could
compromise tokens and such). Other security plans required tmpfs to be
turned off for forensics.

Many of the break-in kits though use /dev/shm already so they aren't
going to be around after a reboot.

I would expect that any turn-on/turn-off of tmpfs would need to be
configurable so that users who needed one or the other could get it.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me."  —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd