Graphical Rescue Mode

Mike Manilone crtmike at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 11:51:43 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-04-04 at 12:28 +0100, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> On 04/04/2012 12:06 PM, Mike Manilone wrote:
> > On Wed, 2012-04-04 at 11:59 +0100, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> >> Maybe it would be an idea to extend livecd-tools to allow a live
> >> image to be installed to the hard disk and booted via grub to
> >> allow a graphical environment to boot up when the main install is
> >> hosed for some reason.
> > Surely it also works. However, can it integrate to the main
> > release? Then it can be useful.
> >

> Doing that by hand isn't so hard for simple cases (add some users with
> the right uid/gid, meddle with some mounts, maybe turn on some
> services). This is all I've generally needed when doing this kind of
> thing and it works well.
This feature is targeted for end-users who don't know such knowledge.
And usually, they don't want to do such things by hand.

The rescue mode must be installed into the hard disk. Because
1) Maybe users don't have more computers (so can't re-burn DVD or dd a
LiveCD to a USB stick)
2) Maybe users broke their DVDs

A single-user mode sometimes can be used as a rescue mode. But usually
it's not what end-users want.

Regards,
Mike Manilone