Feedback on secondary architecture promotion requirements draft

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Wed Apr 4 13:44:43 UTC 2012

On 04/04/2012 09:31 AM, Jared K. Smith wrote:

> Now, for the ugly part.  One of the many complications is that if a US
> non-profit receives the majority of its funding and support from a
> single corporate entity, that the non-profit begins to look like a tax
> shelter, and at least under US law, that causes more headaches than it
> is worth. I'm sure there are other complications as well, but that's
> the most obvious one to me.
>
> I, for one, would *love* to find a way for Fedora to be able to accept
> funds from outside groups.

Could you clarify whether the problem is that there is no way to donate
at all, or that the donors cannot write the donations off their taxes?

I seem to remember that public institutions (for instance, the
government) are in general barred from accepting gifts; however, Fedora
Foundation and even RedHat are simply regular legal entities, so I'd
think that a random member of the public could donate to them, just like
they could gift another person. It's just that the gift would not be
tax-deductible.