Graphical Rescue Mode

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Apr 4 17:00:17 UTC 2012

Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> This should work as long as the rescue CD finds all your file systems
> and mounts them in the right place (inc. bind mounts for /proc, /sys,
> /dev). If not then setting them by hand isn't a big deal.

It's still a text-only environment.

What I think would be really helpful would be a menu item (next to the
liveinst one) on the live images which does the same magic to autodetect and
mount /mnt/sysimage as the rescue disk does, but from within the graphical
live CD environment. I've abused a KDE Live CD as a rescue disk more than
once because it's a much friendlier rescue environment than the minimalist
one on the rescue image, but mounting the sysimage manually is the harder
the more complex the partition setup on the HDD is.

        Kevin Kofler