Feedback on secondary architecute promotion requirements draft

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Apr 5 12:48:57 UTC 2012

Peter Robinson wrote:
> It's clear you don't want ARM as a primary arch and I'm sure you'll
> dig out any random package and add it as a blocker to ensure that is a
> case. It's up to FESCo to define what they wish, once that has
> happened we will work towards ensure we meet that.

All the issues I'm pointing out are real. I'm not inventing them. You're
shooting the messenger!

Now it's true that the issue I personally care about the most is build speed
(which I don't see being addressed in any even remotely satisfactory way any
time soon, FWIW), but that doesn't mean the other issues don't exist or
should be ignored.

And as a Free Software advocate who has always refused to use proprietary
drivers, seeing an architecure getting promoted to primary with only
proprietary OpenGL drivers, at a time where we FINALLY got the x86 graphics
issues sorted out with radeon and nouveau, genuinely DOES make me sad, too
(even though it won't affect me as much as the build speed issue).

        Kevin Kofler