While we're talking about RPM dependencies ...

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Apr 5 18:03:46 UTC 2012

Today when using F17 Alpha, I ran qemu and got an error which was
something like:

  qemu-kvm: undefined symbol usbredirhost_foo

(I don't recall the precise symbol).  This was just because that
version of qemu was compiled against a later version of
libusbredirhost.so (but one with the same soname), and updating
libusbredirhost.so fixed the problem.

The 'qemu' package has a bug, of sorts: the maintainer should have
added a specific Requires line:

  Requires: usbredir >= <some version>

However, instead of pushing this problem on packagers, maybe RPM
should resolve this by encoding the (admittedly long) list of symbols
used by a binary?

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top