How to properly reference a source from Debian/Ubuntu in a SPEC file?

Jochen Schmitt Jochen at herr-schmitt.de
Mon Apr 9 17:44:14 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 12:01:40PM -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> Unfortunately upstream's CVS doesn't appear to have the version I
> need. Perhaps the appended ".9" to the version is really from Debian
> to keep it from going FTBFS.

When I take a look at

ftp://ftp.debian.org/debain/pool/main/z/zipios++/

I will see a tar.gz file which caontains the string

'cvs.2007.04.20'

in the file name.

So I assume,you should get the rigth release, if yo specify

-d 200704020

on the cvs checkout command.

Of course, it may be not wrong to contact the debian maintainer
to be sure, that this is right.

At least, it may be nice, if you can contact upstream too, because
the year 2007 as a check in date is very old, so I'm afreaid, that
there is not a very active upstream support for this project.

Best Regards:

Jochen Schmitt