disruptive libffi upgrade

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Apr 13 14:06:24 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 20:59 -0400, Anthony Green wrote:

> 2. A new function has been introduced to support
>    variadic functions (ffi_prep_cif_var).
>
>   Libtool's guidelines for .so versioning mandate that I move from
>   libffi.so.5.0.11 to libffi.so.6.0.0 (because functions have been
>   removed).

You have to temper guidelines with some thought.  How recently
have these symbols been introduced?  Are you aware of anything that
actually calls them?  If nothing does, have you considered simply
removing them?   Or, have you considered just keeping the symbols
but making them do nothing?

This ABI bump seems pretty painful for what's gained.