Private-libraries in /usr/lib* - invalid soname.

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 15:38:31 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 05:20:43PM +0200, Alec Leamas wrote:

> Thanks again. Following this advice when packaging makes perfect sense to me.
> Still, when reviewing, my question is how hard I should push it. If I
> understand Kevin correct I shouldn't push it all (?). Is your positionĀ  thatĀ
> private, unversioned libs in /usr/lib* is a problem, but not a blocker?

Ah -- there's two issues in the email:

* Private unversiond libs in %{_libdir}.  -- I would consider this a blocker
  unless shown that they have to be there (and I would patch the build
  scripts to fix this if necessary).
* Public unversioned libs -- I would not consider this a blocker but would
  try to contact upstream about it to see if they would start versioning.

-Toshio