Install Fedora Button for LiveCD

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Fri Apr 27 13:22:58 UTC 2012

> There seems to be at least some consensus that:
>
> * The notification, unless permanent, is not an ideal solution here
> because once it goes away, the user is in the same situation of
> confusion as to how to install the Live Image to disk.
>
> * The extension as proposed is not an ideal solution because it is
> too
> intrusive a change on the GNOME Shell design that the Live Image is
> demonstrating.
>
> * Autostarting anaconda at startup is not an ideal solution because
> there are many valid use-cases for the Live Image where this would
> not
> be wanted, and also, if the new user closes it, they will have the
> same
> difficulty launching it again later when they are ready.
>
> * Launching a "install or try it uninstalled" merely masks the issue,
> because when the user selects "try it uninstalled", they have the
> same
> difficulty finding the installer again later when they are ready.
>
> ****
>
> Would it be possible to design an extension that has a minimal impact
> on
> the GNOME Shell design and still provides a clear, persistent, and
> obvious way to install the Live Image to disk?
>
> ~tom

The discussion has died. I have lost any hope that it could lead to a positive output, so I'll not push any more. The desktop SIG expressed clear and utter "NO".

For the last two Fedora releases new Fedora users have been having a hard time to locate the installer. It seems to be clear that nothing will change in Fedora 17. I find it sad how desktop guys try to veto solutions they don't like, but they don't push on any other solutions. I also find it sad how strong their rejection is even though the overwhelming majority of other respondents like it.

I'll keep the source code on github [1]. Maybe it will be useful for someone else, some time, e.g. for some Fedora spin or for a different Linux distribution. If anybody wants to continue in pushing this, and explaining better to desktop SIG, you're welcome.

[1] https://github.com/kparal/InstallFedoraButton