F16->F17 preupgrade (Re: F17 Beta to slip by an additional week.)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Apr 28 07:51:41 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-27 at 16:05 -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-04-26 at 19:50 +0200, MichaƂ Piotrowski wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone tried to preupgrade from F16 to F17? Are there any problems
> > related to UsrMove (or anything else)?
>
> I made the jump via preupgrade and had quite a bit of trouble. A number
> of packages didn't get upgraded while some of their dependencies did,
> including several that had strict version deps which should have
> prevented this.

The problem with this kind of report is that preupgrade uses the live
repositories, so any kind of package dependency-type issue you hit is
more to do with good old packaging human error than it is with
preupgrade, and is not necessarily likely to be encountered by anyone
else, at least in precisely the same way, because the repos change all
the time. You'd be about as likely to hit trouble with any 'live repo'
upgrade in this case (yum or DVD/netinst with remote repos enabled).

anaconda does something like --skip-broken - possibly more powerful - in
the interest of making sure upgrades at least go through, so in some
cases where yum would just refuse to run, anaconda will force an upgrade
through and leave a somewhat-problematic dependency state until you fix
things up.

preupgrade uses the 'release' repo, it doesn't include updates-testing,
so it's normal that after a preupgrade, if you enable updates-testing
(which is default for pre-releases), you'll find a lot more updates
available.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey