About packaging Zotero standalone for Fedora

Ilyes Gouta ilyes.gouta at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 19:29:19 UTC 2012

Hi,

Zotero is a referencing tool that helps the user collecting,
maintaining and generating citations from research papers and so on.

Since version 3.0, Zotero has also been available as a standalone
executable (previously a Firefox plugin) based on the XULRunner
runtime; and I'm thinking about packaging it for Fedora.

The code base is licensed under AGPLv3, however the program's name
'Zotero' is a registered trademark
(http://www.zotero.org/support/terms/trademark)

I asked the developers
(http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/23104/packaging-zotero-for-gnulinux-distributions/#Item_0)
if it was OK to use that same name (even if the source package ends up
slightly changed - mostly the build system actually), but then here I
am asking the same question in order to get more feedback from the
Fedora packaging community:

What's the position of Fedora regarding using the same trademarked
program names for the packages?

This case would look similar to the Firefox package and I'm interested
in understanding how this is handled in Fedora.

Thanks,

-Ilyes

P.S: I'm already a Fedora packager.