redhat-lsb-desktop versus transition to current libpng

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Wed Aug 1 14:03:17 UTC 2012

Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> writes:
> On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 00:21 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> A very quick search returns this:
>> http://refspecs.linuxbase.org/LSB_4.1.0/LSB-Desktop-generic/LSB-Desktop-generic/libpng.html

Thanks.  The links I was given previously didn't lead me to that.

> Well, that's really it. The format of LSB is a bit odd to a lay reader,
> but AFAICT, it really does mean: to be technically in compliance with
> LSB-desktop, you need to ship a libpng12.so.0 which provides the listed
> functions. End of story. I don't see a workaround.

Yeah, looks like it.  (I think redhat-lsb.spec is pretty broken in that
it onlu appears to be trying to force a particular soname version for
libpng, when the spec clearly demands a particular version for each of
these libraries.  But that's not very relevant right now.)

What this means, IMO, is that we need to split out libpng12 as a
separate package.  The current hack that I'm using (bundling 1.2 and 1.5
into a single SRPM) was never meant to be more than a very short-term
stopgap; I'm sure it violates all sorts of packaging guidelines.

Is there any way we can fast-track that?  I see little value in going
through the normal package review pushups, when this is absolutely
nothing except a backwards-compatibility package --- it ought to be
exactly like the F16 libpng package.  And I'd like to get it done
before the F18 branch.

			regards, tom lane