[Guidelines Change] Change to the Packaging Guidelines

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Aug 8 15:57:22 UTC 2012

On Wed, 08.08.12 00:17, Garrett Holmstrom (gholms at fedoraproject.org) wrote:

> On 2012-08-07 10:35, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >On Tue, 07.08.12 13:31, Gary Gatling (gsgatlin at ncsu.edu) wrote:
> >>Question about new systemd policy,
> >>
> >>If your package is under review, and it enables its service by default, do
> >>you add it to the bugzilla of the systemd package or would that be one of
> >>the things that needs to happen if it gets approved?
> >
> >To enable a service by default after package installation you need
> >permission from FESCO. See the last line of:
> >
> >https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Starting_services_by_default
> >
> >If you have permission from FESCO then I will add it to the default
> >preset file in systemd and upload it to Fedora.
> >
> >What service are you specifically wondering about?
>
> I maintain a package (cloud-init) with several services that meet
> the "runs once then goes away" grant.  Shall I file a bug against
> the systemd package or something else?
>
> Going forward, when a package adds or removes a systemd service that
> starts by default, what is the best way to coordinate the change
> with the preset policy maintainers?

Cloud sounds like something that is network facing, so I guess you need
the OK from FESCO if you want to run it by default.

Note that I am not really the guy in charge here, that's FESCO. I will
simply check the wiki page mentioned above, and copy things from there
into the policy file.

Note that there are actually three kinds of services in my eyes:

1) Services that are not enabled after package installation
2) Services that are enabled after package installation
3) Services that "static", i.e. enabled unconditionally via symlinks in
   /usr/ rather than in /etc/, and are not supposed to be disabled, and
   can only be disabled via "systemctl mask", but "systemctl enable" and
   "systemctl disable" does not really apply to them.

Examples for #1 are things like Apache and MySQL I guess.

Examples for #2 are things like Syslog, cron, SSH, ...

Examples for #3 are things like PolicyKit, D-Bus, LVM, udisks, upower, ...

And my suspicion is that the first sentence in
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Starting_services_by_default which says
"If a service does not require configuration to be functional and is not
network enabled, it may be enabled by default (but is not required to do
so)" should probably just mean that a service like this should be
considered of type #3.

Or with other words: I think quite strongly that a service that a
service covered by this sentence is probably either one of type #1 or
type #3, but not for #2.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.