[Guidelines Change] Change to the Packaging Guidelines

Garrett Holmstrom gholms at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 8 19:16:46 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 08.08.12 00:17, Garrett Holmstrom (gholms at fedoraproject.org) wrote:
>> I maintain a package (cloud-init) with several services that meet
>> the "runs once then goes away" grant.  Shall I file a bug against
>> the systemd package or something else?
>
> Cloud sounds like something that is network facing, so I guess you need
> the OK from FESCO if you want to run it by default.

Perhaps, but the second permission grant on that page carries no such
restriction on network-enabled services:

    In addition, any service which does not remain persistent on the
    system (aka, it "runs once then goes away") and does not require
    configuration to be functional may be enabled by default (but is not
    required to do so). Examples of "runs once then goes away" services
    include iptables and udev.

As a set of oneshot services that run once at boot time and then
terminate, cloud-init falls entirely within the bounds of that grant.
But if the fact that it contacts the network makes you uneasy then I
can ask FESCo to clarify their statement.  Would that help?