configuration files created by Anaconda exclusively

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Thu Aug 9 14:39:15 UTC 2012

On 08/09/2012 04:28 AM, Jan Včelák wrote:

> I recently switched my BIOS from legacy to EFI mode and therefore needed to
> replace grub by grub2-efi. As I do not like garbage in /etc, I removed all
> grub configuration files (rpm -qca grub\*) before uninstalling the old
> package. Unfortunately /etc/default/grub is just a %shadow file and it is
> created by Anaconda during installation. Not by any grub\* package.

On my BIOS-based F17 that was upgraded from earlier Fedora install,
/etc/default/grub is owned by the package grub2-tools, so your problem
appears to be solved moving forward, because grub2 is taking over. I
think you are saying that old grub-based systems may not register this
file in any package---but I just checked on a RHEL 5 and 6 series that
they don't have this file at all. Is it possible that an unconnected
/etc/default/grub was a transitory thing that appeared briefly sometime
after F12 and is fixed by F17/grub2?