Bad F17 install experiences: CentOS 6.3 vs. F17

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 13:24:46 UTC 2012

> This is an ordinary bug, probably in some X11 driver, perhaps
> mach64_drv.
> In practice for the last 2 years, I notice that X11 pays little
> attention
> to anything except the "big 3": current Radeon, nVidia, and Intel
> graphics.
> "3D" [alpha blending, etc.] has taken developer resources away from
> any device which is 2D-only (cannot [does not] run Gnome shell.)

It's not true - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ServerKMSDrivers

"Servers generally ship with fairly simple GPU hardware that can provide
scanout and a small amount of VRAM. Currently we use X.org drivers to
drive these chipsets. However a set of simple KMS drivers could be written
along with a single X.org driver to drive this hardware. Bringing the
featureset of KMS to these chipsets."

Jaroslav