Bad F17 install experiences: CentOS 6.3 vs. F17

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Thu Aug 16 14:47:25 UTC 2012

On 08/16/2012 07:13 AM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-08-09 at 09:11 -0700, John Reiser wrote:

>> In practice for the last 2 years, I notice that X11 pays little attention
>> to anything except the "big 3": current Radeon, nVidia, and Intel graphics.
>> "3D" [alpha blending, etc.] has taken developer resources away from
>> any device which is 2D-only (cannot [does not] run Gnome shell.)

> Yeah, sorry that the devices that need the most work are the ones that
> get the most work.  In the future we'll be sure to focus on end-of-lifed
> hardware with feature-complete drivers.

New Radeon 9250 cards [RV280] were advertised by Fry's Electronics on August 3;
advantages: $50 cheap, perhaps low profile, perhaps available in AGP.
There are thousands of such cards appearing in used equipment channels
because of the US tax accounting rules (5-year depreciation on computers.)
Yes, Diamond MultiMedia discontinued manufacturing these cards in June 2008.
That was only four years ago; the second lifetime has just begun.