Bad F17 install experiences: CentOS 6.3 vs. F17

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 21:25:14 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-08-16 at 09:06 -0700, John Reiser wrote:

> I disagree with the resource allocation decision that RV280 is not worthy
> of the attention that is necessary to provide the functionality required by Gnome3.

Of the approximately nine functionally different generations of radeons
on the market, you're upset that the oldest one that might possibly work
- a card you'd have to go out of your way to purchase and install at
this point, and that's _more expensive_ than significantly faster and
more featureful supported hardware [1] - doesn't.

Yeah, okay, that's a thing one can be upset about.  I hate seeing
hardware not work too.  But there's an awful lot of hardware in the
world that doesn't work, so I try not to let it get me down.  Or at
least, let it get me down in proportion to the quality of the hardware
in question.

As for resource allocation, I'm sorry that your priorities are different
from those of the people doing the work, but that does seem to suggest a
straightforward solution.

> Now that current Radeon cards work, what would it take to make RV280 work?
> How much help can be provided by additional generally-able developers, testers, etc?
> Or, is the work too arcane except for experienced veterans?

How long is a piece of string?

It's hard to say without having investigated it recently.  I do know
that when we tried to enable shell on nv30/40 that one of the big
problems actually ended up being a clutter/cogl bug (which a simple
revert fixed) instead of a Mesa bug.  It's entirely possible that
R200-class cards do work now.  Certainly they work for most of GL,
approximately as well as they ever did.

Mere testing never fixes bugs though.

[1] - http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/ASUS-AMD-ATI-5450-Silent-DDR3-512MB-Low-Profile-Bracket/2652770.aspx

- ajax