Broken dependencies from F17->F18 upgrade

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 22:45:24 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-18 16:09, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> I ran yum distro-sync command but encountered dependencies issue
> related to shotwell and ffmpeg from RPM Fusion which I removed them.
> Applying systemctl enable --force gdm.service was cumbersome with
> polkit and selinux policies problem where I had to reinstall both
> polkit and systemd with Ray's (halfine) suggestion.
>
> I have gdm graphical login screen operational, the entire desktop is
> slow compared to the previous gnome 3.4.2 on Fedora 17running on a
> AMD
> E350 powered laptop. I don't know what exactly cause slowdown, it
> appears to be a regression. Should I file a bug report

Aside from the follow-up discussion about startx not granting proper
access to the DRI /dev nodes and hence forcing llvmpipe rendering -
which is probably not what's affecting Luya, as he says gdm is working -
the other probable cause of sluggish performance in F18 is the old debug
kernel issue. Remember, prior to Beta, most kernel builds have debugging
enabled, which ever since 2.39 or so has been _very_ slow compared to
non-debug modes (much more so than used to be the case). Every so often
the kernel team does a build with debugging disabled, you might want to
grab one of those builds and see if it resolves the issue before filing
a bug. If I'm reading the changelog right, the latest non-debug build is
3.6.0-0.rc2.git0.1:

so give that one a shot.
--
Adam Williamson