mercurial-2.3 build fails on f18

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 06:24:46 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 06:28:53PM -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//work/tasks/4091/4384091/build.log
>
> The problem is that Fedora 18 currently ships with python-
> docutils-0.10-0.2.20120730svn7490.fc18. It works when downgrading to python-
> docutils-0.8.1-3.fc17.
>
> So what to do about it?
>
> The discussion is here:
> http://www.selenic.com/pipermail/mercurial-devel/2012-August/043522.html
>
> I have been talking with upstream, and they say that on debian there is a
> mechanism to use any version for the build.  I don't think Fedora has such a
> mechanism - only the 'current' version of any tool can be used for the build.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Any suggestions?

Note: Matt Mackall is wrong -- Fedora has over 10,000 packages and we work
to keep it free of conflicts.

We do have the ability to create parallel installable versions of docutils
but I'd rather not.  I'm hoping that upstream considers this a bug.  In
which case, there is a pretty easy code change to make it work.  I outline
the change in the bug report I opened with upstream:
  http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3559988&group_id=38414&atid=422030

(I thought this might be a feature of new docutils rather than a bug but
after working on it for a while I found that there doesn't seem to be any
way to use a user defined writer with the new code.  So it does look like
a bug to me.)

However, docutils currently is FTBFS because of the python3.3 update.  Until
that's resolved we can't get a new package built for Fedora :-(.

I've emailed dmalcolm to find out if there's any progress on that.

-Toshio