rawhide report: 20120825 changes

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Aug 27 19:27:36 UTC 2012

On 8/27/12 1:22 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 08/27/2012 06:13 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
>> Still, looking into it.
> My view: The pango maintainers can not abandon pangox just because
> _they_ do not use some API other works rely upon.

That's an opinion you can have.  Personally once an API has been
deprecated for seven years I don't feel too bad about needing to fix the
consumers.  But feel free to bring that concern to pango.  Me, I prefer
fixing things.

The affected API appears to be almost unused.  gauche-gtk, ruby-gnome2,
pygtkglext and gtkglextmm do wrap and export the API, but none of their
consumers use it, at least not in Fedora.

The actual consumers appear to be:

gabedit/GabeditSrc240/src/Utils/UtilsGL.c
k3d/k3d-source-0.8.0.2/k3dsdk/ngui/viewport.cpp
ghemical/ghemical-2.99.2/src/pangofont_wcl.cpp

The affected API is basically a complicated wrapper around glXUseXFont,
itself a mildly unfortunate convenience API (display list full of
glBitmap calls? thanks for the software fallback hit), and one that
requires an actual X font.  One could probably hack around that by
making a bitmap with XftDrawCreateBitmap, using pangoxft to render into
it, and then reimplementing the rest of UseXFont from that bitmap.
Actually pretty straightforward.  Still going to be brutally slow on the
open 3D drivers, but it'd work.

That said it's probably less work to grab a copy of pango-1.30.1 and
just build compat-pangox from that.

- ajax