prefered way of configuring X11 keyboard layouts in F18

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue Dec 4 08:57:52 UTC 2012

On 12/04/2012 04:59 AM, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 09:20:05AM +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:

>>> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/systemd.git/commit/?h=f18&id=0969ad24898347919865e9298fa01e19cec98649
>>> already attempts to do some kind of automatic conversion.  If that is
>>> insufficient, please file bugs against systemd.
>>
>> It seems that the virtual console layout is migrated ok, but the x11
>> part is not. This is what I get on my two upgraded F18 boxes:
>>
>> [root at turre ~]# localectl
>>     System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>>         VC Keymap: fi
>>        X11 Layout: n/a
>> [root at turre ~]#
>>
>> The "n/a" part is the "problem" as it falls back to US keyboard.
>> localectl manual says both set-keymap and set-x11-keymap apply to
>> both the keymaps unless --no-convert is specified, but that doesn't
>> seem to happen in practise:
>>
>> [root at turre ~]# localectl set-keymap fi
>> [root at turre ~]# localectl
>>     System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>>         VC Keymap: fi
>>        X11 Layout: n/a
>> [root at turre ~]# localectl set-x11-keymap fi
>> [root at turre ~]# localectl
>>     System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>>         VC Keymap: fi-latin1
>>        X11 Layout: fi
>> [root at turre ~]# localectl set-keymap fi
>> [root at turre ~]# localectl
>>     System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>>         VC Keymap: fi
>>        X11 Layout: fi
>>         X11 Model: pc105
>>       X11 Options: terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
>>
>> It's a bit bizarre: set-keymap doesn't seem to find "fi" as the
>> closest matching keyboard for x11 (it probably should),
>> set-x11-keymap considers "fi-latin1" to be the closest matching
>> keymap for "fi", but in this specific order its possible to get both
>> set to "fi". Only it now adds additional model + options there,
>> whatever the reason.
>
> pc105 is just the standard model that XKB uses. and the option is there to
> get zapping behaviour when the server is started (until that option is
> overwritten by a desktop environment or other client)

Sure. The point is that if those options are needed, why are they only
appearing after setting the VC keymap when X11 keymap has been already
set, but not when the X11 keymap is first set? And why does setting VC
keymap change such things for the X11 keymap? This just looks fairly
bizarre on the whole.

	- Panu -