What would it take to make Software Collections work in Fedora?

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Wed Dec 5 21:45:28 UTC 2012

On 12/05/2012 04:04 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:

> 2) On a long-lived platform, Software Collections can provide a way to move
>     faster than the base. On a fast-moving platform like Fedora, we could use
>     it in the other way: providing longer-lived versions of certain
>     components even as the base is upgraded.

That is a noble goal---it would be nice if it implied a long-term
support commitment, but I understand that the Fedora Project does not
have resources to support software older than the usual N-2. People who
value stability over agressive development would still get some benefit
from your proposal, but I think they would be better served by a true
long-term support distribution (RHEL, Centos, Scientific, or (horrors!)
Debian LTS)

Ceterum censeo, it would be nice if there was a smooth migration path
off Fedora into one of these LTS setups, for those that can't upgrade
for one reason or another. I know it's hard and/or impossible, but I
just had to say again that it'd be useful.