grub (v1) in f18?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Dec 7 07:41:36 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-12-06 at 16:48 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Dec 6, 2012, at 3:25 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> >> Yes, virtualization.
> >
> > So, yeah, that's actually what I want to do. But since 2011, the grub2
> > package _obsoletes_ grub, which means that yum and friends will happily
> > substitute grub2 for grub on every opportunity (by default) including
> > building images with appliance-creator.
>
> I haven't experienced this with F16, F17 or so far F18. What I'm seeing is:
>
> yum install/update grub gets me grub legacy.
> yum install/update grub-efi gets me grub legacy efi.
> yum install/update grub2 gets me grub2.
> yum install/update grub2-efi gets me grub2 efi.

If you have *both* installed, grub2 will want to nuke grub every time an
update shows up, IIRC.

pjones had a reason for doing it this way, my personal opinion is that
it's a dumb thing to do (I thought we should actually kill grub and only
ship grub-efi), but I'm just the monkey. He might catch this thread to
explain what his reasoning is/was.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey