What would it take to make Software Collections work in Fedora?

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Fri Dec 7 15:40:13 UTC 2012

On 12/06/2012 01:00 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 22:25 -0600, Michael Ekstrand wrote:

>>> <heretical>
>>>
>>> Well, then maybe Fedora's too big, and we should move to a model where
>>> Fedora is much smaller, and the grand Fedora universe contains things that
>>> are packaged *for* one or multiple Fedoras.
>>>
>>> </heretical>
>>
>> FWIW (probably not much), I also think this is a great idea.  It feels
>> strange to me that the same thing contains & manages everything from
>> base system (e.g. kernel through core GNOME stack) and add-on apps (say
>> Battle for Wesnoth, to pick a relatively obvious example).
>>
>> Now, there's a bike shed to be painted over where the lines should be drawn.
>
> We could draw them between Core and Extras!

:) Note that just because we got rid of Core doesn't mean that it was a
bad idea. Ubuntu even adopted a "Core" of their own a while back. Maybe
they'll have the same experience we had and get away from that, or maybe
Linux distributions should ultimately not be in the business of
providing all+kitchen sink. Speaking only personally, what I want is a
stable core platform of very limited size against which I can install
other packages and stacks.

Jon.