grub (v1) in f18?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri Dec 7 16:49:25 UTC 2012

On 12/07/2012 05:26 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:

>>> If you have *both* installed, grub2 will want to nuke grub every time an
>>> update shows up, IIRC.
>>
>> Yum and rpm refuse to install packages which are obsoleted by an
>> installed package, so you can't really have both. Unless you first
>> install grub2 and then grub with 'rpm --nodeps'...
>
> But, it's not just if both installed, is it? The grub2 package obsoletes
> grub, and yum follows obsoletes by default in dependency resolution.
>
> Panu, you would know this better than I, so clearly I'm going crazy
> somewhere. If you could explain how, I'd appreciate it. :)

My comment was simply on the "if you have both" part: it's not really
possible to have both without playing dirty tricks, so even the "if" is
pretty moot.

> Here's on an F17 image booted in a cloud service (so no grub at all
> installed initially):
>
>    $ rpm -qa |grep grub
>    grubby-8.11-1.fc17.x86_64
>
> (As expected, just grubby; nothing else matches.)
>
>    $ sudo yum install grub
>    [...]
>    Package grub is obsoleted by grub2, trying to install
>    1:grub2-2.0-0.39.fc17.x86_64 instead
>    Resolving Dependencies
>    --> Running transaction check
>    ---> Package grub2.x86_64 1:2.0-0.39.fc17 will be installed
>    --> Processing Dependency: grub2-tools = 1:2.0-0.39.fc17 for package:
>    --> 1:grub2-2.0-0.39.fc17.x86_64
>    [...and so on]
>
> Even "yum install grub-0.97" gets this behavior. Now, I can set
> "obsoletes=0" in /etc/yum.conf if I _really_ want to get grub installed, but
>
>    a) I don't actually want to change the default behavior of yum on the final
>       image
>
>    b) I don't want users to get messed up if they innocently change that back
>       to its default
>
>    c) I'm not even sure how I would go about changing that pre-transaction in
>       appliance-creator and other tools

Yes, I think we're both trying to say the same thing: there's no point
having 'grub' in the repositories as its not installable or usable in
practise. The same goes for bunch of other obsoleted packages as well.

	- Panu -