grub (v1) in f18?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 7 17:58:11 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 09:29:28AM -0800, John Reiser wrote:
> > Yes, I think we're both trying to say the same thing: there's no point
> > having 'grub' in the repositories as its not installable or usable in
> > practise. The same goes for bunch of other obsoleted packages as well.
> yum is not the only tool available.

But it is the package manager for the distro. More importantly, it's not
really about yum. *Any* package manager which respects what the packages say
("grub2 obsoletes grub") will do the same.

> Using rpm:  erase grub2 if it is present; install grub [grub1].

And then the next time you do a general package upgrade, presto, you've got
grub2 again. This is a kludge, basically, akin to installing firefox-12.0-1
from the F17 release tree even though firefox-17.0 is F17 updates.

> There are other tools, too.  rpm2cpio comes to mind.

Really???

And sure, you can build grub from source. But we're getting pretty far off
from being actually _Fedora_.