Where are we going? (Not a rant)

Edward Mann e.dev at edmann.com
Fri Dec 7 20:57:09 UTC 2012

12/07/2012 06:58 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:

>> I do not care ab out
arguing with him, I care to give advice to others (if they care for my
advice, feel free to fully ignore). Don't follow that model, it's broken
security wise, unless you keep your machine disconnected from the
network.

> In the end if you are going to keep your machine secure et
all you have
> to keep it disconnected there will always be bugs which
can be exploited
> when you are network connected ;)
>
> I personally
think people should start worrying more about application
> they
install on their mobile devices ( which they more often then not

grant access to privacy information themselves ) or information they

expose themselves on various social network sites willingly, unaware of

> the consequences it might have then having their OS cracked.
>
> If
I was a crook I would simply use various online tracking sites or

social networking sites to monitor whether you are home or not and

simply rob you when your post on your status that you have gone on

holidays next to the picture of your house tagged with the geographical

> coordinates to it or when an app places you on Starbucks.
>
> Or I
would collect all those idiotic question people have to provide

answer on various online sites including banks cross reference them to

> you social network pages and your posts, then simply call your bank,

> provide answer to those questions and wipe your account clean.

Much more simpler, probably pays better of in the end and harder to

track down compared to cracking your laptop OS or explode a bug which

requires you to be a skilled programmer or cryptography engineer to pull

> it of..
>
> Seriously why bother cracking people OS to get to this
information when
> it gets handed to you on silver platter by the
individuals themselves
> online?
>
> JBG
>
> "There's a war out
there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about
> who's got the most
bullets. It's about who controls the information.
> What we see and
hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the
> information!"
Cosmo

Go after the old folks, apparently they are the most recent
targets

http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-164-18156-205169--,00.html