Where are we going? (Not a rant)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Dec 8 05:51:08 UTC 2012

On 12/08/2012 06:07 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Arun SAG <sagarun at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Completely agree on this one. In my day job we started using Fedora as one
>> of our desktop os. Then support  issues and upgrade cycle started giving
>> nightmares to corp IT. They are looking at other avenues now. I really wish
>> there is a LTS release for this awesome distro -  Fedora.
>
> Why does there need to be a long-term support for Fedora?

My primary problem with Fedora isn't "lack of stability", but lack of
API/ABI and UI-stability/persistence/sustainability between upgrades.

In other words, I can cope with the number of crashes upgrades typically
come along with, but the number "UI-changes" is what makes Fedora
difficult to use for me.

> Why not just
> use Red Hat Enterprise Linux?

My view: RHEL is not an alternative to Fedora. CentOS would be a
candidate alternative to Fedora, however due to the nature of its
upstream and its upstream target audience (servers) it lacks a lot to be
functionally "on par" with Fedora.

That said, if I was managing a larger network, I'd likely choose CentOS
as base OS and harvest Fedora to setup a custom "add-on" repo.

Ralf