[rawhide] (was Re: Where are we going? (Not a rant))

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Sun Dec 9 23:18:45 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Dec 2012 17:31:54 +0100
> Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:

> Just to highlight this... I intend to switch my laptop to rawhide and
> run it and try and gather a like minded group of people to fix things
> as they break faster and work on making rawhide more day to day
> consumable. I'll likely do this switch over the holidays.
>
> I'd like to continue to use this list for this effort (with the idea
> that increasing signal here would be welcome).
>
> Some random ideas:
>
> Create a 'serious rawhide regression tracking bug'. Anyone can nominate
> bugs to get added to that and we have a pool of people watching it who
> can fix or nag maintainers to fix such issues as a higher priority. We
> would need to come up with some critera for acceptance there.
>
> Help improve autoqa efforts around rawhide and see if we can prevent
> broken packages from even promoting into the collection.
>
> Note directly rawhide related discussion on this list with a [rawhide]
> so people can easily pick out workarounds and discussions on day to day
> rawhide bugs.
>
> Try to give maintainers feedback when they push something to rawhide
> that doesn't work at all, and help untag builds identified that do this
> before they go out in the next compose.
>
> Other ideas welcome.
>
> kevin
>

> --

There's no way I can run my laptop on Rawhide - it's dual-booted with
Windows 8 Pro and Fedora 18. But I do have an ancient crash-and-burn
workstation I can run Rawhide on. It's currently dual-booted Fedora 18
and Linux Mint 14, but I rarely run the Mint part and I could easily
convert that partition to Rawhide or even blow away Fedora 18 and Mint
in favor of Rawhide.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench: http://znmeb.github.com/Computational-Journalism-Publishers-Workbench/

How the Hell can the lion sleep with all those people singing "A weem
oh way!" at the top of their lungs?