grub2-tools and UEFI/GPT

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Wed Dec 12 08:10:08 UTC 2012

When my UEFI/GPT-based Fedora 17 box refused to boot yesterday, I ran
into the following trouble.  The disk looked reasonably well from a
rescue system, so I naively figured that something might be wrong with
its initial sectors, and that grub2-install might magically fix that again.

First, grub2-install (which wasn't installed on my box, so I installed
grub2-tools) kept asking about --target or --directory switches that
didn't make much sense to me, until I figured that it found no data in
/usr/lib/grub, and that installing the grub2 package would solve that,
putting /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc there.  Is that a missing dependency of
grub2-tools on grub2, or is that by design?

Then, "grub2-install /dev/sda" still failed to work with "this GPT
partition label contains no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be
possible."  In the end, I managed to get things working again with
"re-installing" Fedora 17 onto itself via CD, which has apparently
corrected any corrupted data in some way.  What would the manual way to
do that have looked like?

Stephan