Can systemd/PrivateTmp bug 851970 be fixed for F17?

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Sun Dec 16 23:52:01 UTC 2012

On 12/14/12 10:04 AM, Michal Schmidt wrote:
> Dne 13.12.2012 22:52, Eric Sandeen napsal(a):
>> I just spent too many hours re-triaging and re-discovering bug
>> 851970, in which systemd + PrivateTmp does weird things with
>> namespaces, thereby making it impossible to unmount filesystems under
>> certain circumstances.
>>
>> 851970 was closed NEXTRELEASE, because:
>
> Not exactly. The bug was already closed before I added my comment.

>>> The reason is simple. I do not understand well enough how the
>>> filesystem namespace stuff works, so I am afraid of backporting the
>>> patches that touch it.
>
> You quoted only the beginning of my comment. The unquoted part, which
> begins with "So in order to fix this bug in F17 ...", is the starting
> point for anyone who is serious about wanting to help with fixing it.

I had assumed that either the maintainer or the upstream author
would be the ones who were serious about fixing it in F17.

If I filed a bug requesting that PrivatTmp be disabled in F17,
would that be acceptable?  I don't think the current situation
is good - using PrivateTmp today can leave the system in a poor
state.

Thanks,
-Eric