Why samba-client not installed by default?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Dec 19 14:08:05 UTC 2012

Am 19.12.2012 14:37, schrieb Ozan Çağlayan:
> I'm trying to add a SAMBA printer through control-center in F18. As
> far as I can understand, this is still only supported through
> system-config-printer and not from printer panel in
> gnome-control-center. Besides that since samba-client is not installed
> by default, system-config-printer is not able to look for Samba printers.

because most people the days are using network-printers
even the cheap HP printers having WLAN/LAN and working without
any windows crap

> It is not obvious/intuitive for the end-user to know that he/she has
> to install samba-client prior of Samba printer installation

on the other side it would not be helpful having hard-dependencies
for samba-clients only needed by few users

with your argumentation you could also say "why is httpd not installed
ny default, it is not intuitive to to know you have to install"